Postwar luxury

The Alfa Romeo 6C name was used on road, race, and sports cars produced between 1927 and 1954 by Alfa Romeo; the “6C” name refers to six cylinders of the car’s straight-six engine. Bodies for these cars were made by coachbuilders such as James Young, Zagato, Touring, Castagna, and Pinin Farina. Starting from 1933 there was also a 6C version with a factory Alfa body, built in Portello.

Introduced in 1938, the 2500 (2443 cc) was the last 6C road car. World War II was coming and car development was stopped, but a few hundred 6C 2500s were built from 1940 to 1945. Postwar, the first new Alfa model was the 1946 6C 2500 Freccia d’Oro (Golden Arrow), of which 680 were built through 1951, with bodies by Alfa.

The Tipo 256 was a racing version of 2500 made in eight copies between 1939 and 1940 for the Mille Miglia and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It was made in Spider (convertible) and Berlinetta (coupe) Touring bodystyles. With a power of 125 bhp (93 kW), it could achieve a top speed of 200 kilometers per hour (120 mph).

It was sold to wealthy customers like King Farouk, Alì Khan, Rita Hayworth, Tyrone Power, and Prince Rainier. One was also featured in The Godfather in 1972.

The 2500 was one of the most expensive cars available in its time. The last 6C was produced in 1952, and the model was replaced by the 1900.

All the 6C 2500 examples are cataloged, together with chassis specifications, known fates, technical and race data and first owners, in the Editoriale Domus book Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 (written by Angelo Tito Anselmi).

Cars